1. FMEA template
To quickly create an FMEA document, you need an FMEA template. FMEA Analysis provides many built-in FMEA templates. These templates go with FMEA Analysis or you can download them here.
Download FMEA template
FMEA template inside FMEA Analysis.
Open FMEA Analysis tab, select “New Document From Template”, a menu with built-in template drop down and select the template you need.
2. How to use the FMEA template
To utilize the FMEA feature with these templates, please use it with FMEA Analysis.
Input the process in the Process columns.
Input a function of the processes. If a process has more than 1 function, you can add a new function, by simply press “Enter”.
1. Quickly Edit with FMEA template in Excel
1.1. Quickly Insert New Item
In the below FMEA, there are 1 or many Potential Failure Mode for each Requirement. Potential Failure Modes should be separated from each other but still aligned with their common Requirements.
Excel worksheet is a flat table. One Potential Failure Mode corresponds with one Requirement. How do you add one new item in Potential Failure Mode but still keep it align with the current item of Requirements?
- With Excel: insert a new row below the current one for the new item, but this action also creates new items that we don’t need. To fix this problem, you may work around by merging cells in other columns.
- With FMEA Analysis: FMEA Analysis provides a rapid way to insert new item FMEA in Excel. Just select the current item and press Enter.
#1 FMEA Creator for Excel
Complete your FMEA analysis faster than ever right inside Excel
1.2. Quickly Delete Item
If we want to remove an item in Causes column without effect to other content, deleting its row is not a suitable solution because it may delete other items. What should you do?
- With Excel: Unmerge some items, delete the unnecessary item and then merge again. This method requires a lot of tasks.
- With FMEA Analysis Add-in: FMEA Analysis provides a quick way to delete. Press the Delete button or right-click and select Delete Item.
1.3. Fit & AutoFit
Excel does not allow autofit for merged cell. In the example FMEA below, if you add more text for the pink item, its row height does not shrink to fit additional text.
- Excel Way: you have to resize row height to fit content manually.
- FMEA Analysis Way: Turn Auto Fit in FMEA Analysis ribbon, and FMEA Analysis will automatically change the row height to make the cell content fit.
2. Quickly create Formula of RPN in Excel
Creating the formula for one RPN is simple, but it isn’t easy to create formulas for all RPN cells of FMEA in Excel quickly. So how should you do it?
- With Excel: You have to create RPN formulas one by one since formulas of RPN items are different.
- With FMEA Analysis: You also have to enter the formula for the first one, then click Copy Formula. It will implement RPN formulas for all below RPN items.
Quickly creat FMEA right inside Excel